Points of Pride
Riverside Middle School, located just a few yards from the historic Rio Grande, opened its doors in the 1971 - 1972 school year. The official school mascot is a rebel, showing burnt orange and blue colors. Student success is a priority at our school which makes attending Riverside Middle school fun and exciting. We have been an integral part of our community serving students, parents, and grandparents.
STEM (SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, AND MATHEMATICS)
Riverside Middle School is a TEA T-STEM Designated Middle School for the Earned Texas STEM designation for the third year in a row. The goal is to be more aligned with the T-STEM Academy at Riverside High School. Riverside Middle School teachers are gearing up for a great 2018-2019 school year. This year RMS will be introducing STEM projects for every student throughout the year. Everything from quick one day challenges to larger project based learning. Riverside Middle School offers various STEM classes through Project Lead The Way such as coding, green architecture, medical detectives, robotics, design and modeling. Students also have the opportunity to participate in more STEM programs through our 21st Century/ACE after school program. The launch of our new Riverside Middle School STEM Academy will provide opportunities in STEM to all RMS students.
Riverside Middle School offers 33 student clubs and organizations that support students in the areas of advanced academics, STEM, fine arts, Special Olympics and athletics.
In the past several years, Riverside Middle School students have achieved highest recognition through Duke Tip, a national organization that identifies academically gifted students. The goal is to continue increasing the amount of our students who qualify for this honor.
Riverside Middle School was awarded a grant in the amount of $20,000 from Project Lead The Way to implement the Gateway Introduction to Computer Science. This grant was made possible by a generous grant from Verizon.
Riverside Middle School has been a proud recipient of recent grants including $2,500 VEX Robotics Grant, $5,000 Lowe's Toolbox for Education Grant, $1,500 Kellogg's Back to School Grant and $1,000 Math Counts Grant.
Below are some additional accolades Riverside Middle received during the 2017-2018 academic school year:
- 2nd best attendance for middle schools
- 3rd best STAAR results for middle schools
- Highest Reading growth for middle schools
- 2nd highest Math growth for middle school
- Earned 4 distinctions from the State for:
- Academic Achievement for Reading
- Post-secondary Readiness
- Closing the Achievement Gap
- Academic Growth
- Earned 86 points out of 100 IN 2018 on the new state accountability system
- Earned top ratings and sweepstakes for UIL Band
- Earned top ratings for Jazz band
- Earned 4 medals at the Jr. VASE Area State Art Competition.
- Earned 3rd place at district science fair for middle schools
- Seven students competed at the regional science fair
- Earned 3rd place at district cross country championships
- Earned 2nd place (boys) at district wrestling
- Earned 1st place and 2nd place at Special Olympics Soccer Tournament
- Over 12 students who places 1st, 2nd and 3rd place at district track meet
- Earned best in show for our Cadettes (Future Rangerettes)
- Earned best in show for our Rebel cheer team
Riverside Middle School has developed several initiatives to assist in increasing school pride, student voice and social/emotional health. Below are some of the keys initiatives:
- You Belong Here
- Emphasizing on “Welcoming All” to RMS, to include honoring diversity
- You Speak; We Listen
- Increasing Student and Faculty Voice
- Via surveys
- Principal Student Advisory Council
- Enhancing school pride via our Rebel 3: Be Respectful, Be Responsible & Be Safe
- Rebranding Riverside Middle and Changing the image
- Added for 2018-2019
- Fist pump Fridays
- Motivational Mondays (Every 2 weeks)
- Positive posters to cheer up our RMS community
- Scheduled for Different Groups
- Students of the Month/ Faculty of the Month
- Turning up the Love
- In order to increase more social and emotional health, will be establishing “Turning Up the Love”.
- Focusing on advocating for:
- Self-love (being comfortable with who you are)
- Self-acceptance (be uniquely you and only you) and
- Spreading kindness for all.
- The goal is to create a more welcoming and accepting environment for all students, faculty, staff, parents, and community member.
- Birthday recognition: You Are Loved Grams!
- House Teams
- Splitting up our teachers and students into four competitive teams that will compete for the best attendance, dress code, and discipline
- House Teams will earn
- Discounted Passes to events
- Free Dress/Jeans
- Extra time for lunch
- “You are one Smart Noodle” Cup-a-noodle Day for our A honor roll students.
- End of Year Winners will earn a trip to Western Playland.
- Reflection Time
- First 2-3 minutes of 1st period
- Reduces stress; Increases focus
- We want our students to start their day right!
5:00 PM Boys Basketball (Away)
5:00 PM Girls Basketball (Home)
6:00 PM YISD Board of Trustees Meeting
January 30, 2019
February 13, 2019
6:00 PM YISD Board of Trustees
February 27, 2019
March 8, 2019