BRING YOUR OWN DEVICE (BYOD) DISTRICT POLOCY
In order to expand 21st century learning opportunities, YISD is implementing Bring Your Own Device (BYOD). YISD will provide students, teachers and staff with access to a filtered, Wi‐Fi network following federal Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) guidelines. Students and employees may voluntarily bring their own personal device to school to be used for educational purposes. This is NOT a requirement. It is important that these devices be used appropriately. With that in mind, these BYOD guidelines will govern the use of personally owned devices in our schools.
Purpose of ENGAGE ME! BYOD
The purpose of BYOD is to provide students access to tools to master the skills necessary for college and career readiness, and to enrich and engage learning. Student-centered learning opportunities leverage 21st century devices and tools to allow for the 4Cs: creativity, collaboration, communication and critical thinking.
BYOD will allow students to voluntarily bring their own personal device to school to be used for instructional purposes, under the supervision and direction of the teacher. This is NOT about the devices, but about creating constructive modifications to learning – and teaching practices. It empowers students not only to be consumers of information, but to be creators and curators of content.
Definition of “Device”
For purposes of BYOD, “device” means a privately owned wireless and/or portable electronic hand‐held device that includes, smartphones, laptops, tablets, e-readers and other devices used while at school. These devices should utilize the district’s guest network.
Digital Citizenship and Online Safety
YISD students and staff use technology and applications in safe, legal and responsible ways. We embrace the following facets of digital citizenship.
Respect & Protect:
- Yourself: Select online names that are appropriate; carefully consider the information, images and content that you post online. Do not share personal details, contact information or your activities.
- Others: Do NOT use technology/social media to bully, tease or disparage others. Report abuse/bullying and do NOT forward/share inappropriate material or information.
- Intellectual Property: Properly cite any and all use of books, sites, content, media, etc. Request permission to use other’s work, honor their response. (Copyright for Kids)
Personal Device Responsibility for Students and Staff
- Students may use a personal device to the extent authorized by a classroom teacher or administrator for instructional purposes in accordance with the YISD Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), the code of conduct and the Student and Employee Handbooks (see policies FNCE, CQ, student and employee handbooks).
- Students may also use their personal device in supervised common areas, such as in the library and cafeteria.
- Students and staff will assume responsibility for any technical issues related to their personal device.
- Students and staff take full responsibility for their device. YISD is not responsible for the security of any personal device.
- Student devices cannot be used during assessments, unless directed by a teacher or administrator.
- Students must power off and put away a personal device if directed to do so by a teacher or administrator.
- Keep device in silent mode, except when directed by a teacher or administrator.
- Student printing from a personal device will not be permitted at school. Cloud-based services for creation, sharing and collaboration should be utilized (Google Apps, Office365, etc.).
- Students are expected to use the YISD network while on district property (no personal Internet providers/service).
- Students must ensure that their personal device does not disrupt the learning of others, endanger the health or safety of others, invade the rights of others at school or be involved in illegal or prohibited conduct.
- Students will not use a personal device to take or transmit photos or video during the school day or on school grounds, unless authorized by the teacher/administration (for instructional purposes).
- Unauthorized access to data or information is in violation of the AUP and will result in disciplinary action as outlined in policy, AUP, student handbook and code of conduct.
- YISD has the right to collect and examine any device and content that is or was the source of an attack or viruses.
- Misuse of personal devices may result in revocation of BYOD privileges and Internet access, as well as appropriate disciplinary action as outlined in policy, code of conduct and the student/employee handbook.
- YISD will provide access to a guest WiFi network with filtered Internet.
- YISD may provide access to web-based email, cloud applications/storage (OneDrive, Google Apps for Education) and other third party applications for students/employees to use both at school and home. These accounts will help develop academics and the 4Cs.
- YISD is not responsible for damaged or stolen devices.
- YISD will not support, repair nor replace personally owned devices.
- YISD supports only the 802.11 AC wireless network.
Please note that the Internet provides access to networks and information all over the world. Even using a filtered network, as outlined in federal CIPA guidelines, there is a possibility that users may encounter areas of objectionable or inappropriate material. While the district takes reasonable steps to preclude access to such material, it is not possible to absolutely prevent it.
YISD makes no guarantee of any kind, either expressed or implied, for the provided access.
YISD is not responsible:
- for any damages incurred, including but not limited to loss of data resulting from delays or interruption of service, or for the loss of files.
- for information obtained through district network, resources nor personal data plans, resulting in criminal or terrorist activities.
- for supporting, troubleshooting or installing applications onto a personal device.
- or liable for the security, loss or damage to a personal device.
- for any data fees, application costs or other charges that may be incurred during school‐related instructional use.