In cases of inclement weather, YISD may delay classes, cancel classes, or have an early release day. The Superintendent makes the final decision to cancel or modify classes, based on information from staff; the National Weather Service; local/state agencies; and safety factors, such as whether:
- Security staff is reporting inclement weather conditions at schools;
- Local authorities have closed major highways, streets, and roads;
- Parents/students can get to school as usual;
- YISD buses can safely complete their normal routes;
- The National Weather Service is predicting more inclement weather.
Decisions to delay or cancel classes will generally be made by 5:30 a.m. The district will share this information with parents and employees via automated phone calls and/or text messages. Information will also be posted on the YISD website and its social media pages. All local news and radio outlets will also be notified so they can share this information in their broadcasts.
Delayed school day
A delayed start to the school day means classes will begin exactly two hours after the normal starting time for that particular school (i.e., if a school normally begins classes at 7:45 a.m., a delayed start means classes will instead begin at 9:45 a.m., etc.). Buses will pick up at the designated bus stop two hours after the original pick-up time.
When a two-hour delayed start is in effect:
- All morning pre-K classes will be canceled; only afternoon pre-K classes will be held on those days.
- PPCD morning classes will be canceled; afternoon PPCD classes will meet on a normal schedule.
- All-day PPCD classes will be on a two-hour delay, similar to other all-day class schedules.
- Breakfast will not be served, unless specifically requested by the principal.
- High school co-op students should contact the employer about the two-hour delay, and attempt to report to their work site as early as possible.
When classes are canceled, all students and most district employees do not need to report to school or work. Essential district employees may be called in by their supervisor to assist with weather-related duties. All athletic and extracurricular activities will be canceled as well, unless otherwise specified. The school day will be made up on a later date that has been designated as an inclement weather make-up day.
Early release day
When inclement weather prompts the district to release students early from classes, YISD will notify parents about early-release times for elementary, middle, and high schools via automated phone calls. This information will also be posted on the YISD website and its social media pages, and include whether athletic and extracurricular activities will be canceled. Bus transportation will be available for those who normally take the school bus; however, students should check with the school's main office for pick-up times.