All children with disabilities residing in the state, regardless of the severity of their disabilities, and who are in need of special education and related services, must be identified, located, and evaluated.
In addition to students enrolled in the public schools, the Child Find duty extends to:
- Children with disabilities who are homeless or are wards of the state;
- Children with disabilities who are attending private schools.
- Children from birth to three with visual or auditory impairments
Through the implementation of the Ysleta Independent School District (YISD) policies and procedures, YISD ensures that a free appropriate public education (FAPE) is made available to all eligible children with disabilities ages 3 through 21 (and children birth to 3 with visual or auditory impairments) as required by federal regulations and state statutes.
- For students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12, the referral source (i.e. parent, teacher, etc.) may contact campus administration for information necessary to initiate the referral.
- For children participating in ECI programs, parents are invited to a transition meeting with YISD personnel 90 days prior to the child’s 3rd At that time transition services are initiated and facilitated by YISD personnel. Parents must give consent for the ECI program/specialist to share child records for the purposes of referral.
- For students presently attending a private school, the referral source may contact the YISD campus (administration) nearest to the private school for information necessary to initiate the referral.
- For a child admitted to a hospital setting and in need of special education services, the referral source can contact the school district in which the hospital is located for information necessary to initiate the referral.
- For a student requiring continued special education after dismissal from the hospital setting the referral source may contact the campus where the student is enrolled for information necessary to initiate the referral.
- For a homebound student requiring services at home or in an alternative setting the referral source may contact the home campus (administration).
- For a student entering YISD during the summer or being referred for the first time on a day when schools are not in session, the referral source may contact the home campus (administration).
- For a child enrolled in the YISD employee daycare, YISD will assume Child Find responsibility and complete the initial evaluation. If eligibility for special education is established, parents will have the option of receiving services in YISD as transfer student.
- For clarification or assistance with the referral process call the YISD Special Education Department at (915)434-0900.