Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer
P-EBT is a one-time food benefit for families who lost access to free or reduced-price meals due to school closure.
Who is eligible for P-EBT food benefits?
P-EBT is for families who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Children born after Aug. 1, 2014 who are certified for free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
- Children born after Aug. 1, 2014 old who received SNAP food benefits between the months of October 2021 and June 2021.
- Children attending one of 49 Ysleta ISD schools that offer free meals to all students through the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP).
Who needs to complete an online application?
- Families that did NOT receive SNAP benefits between the months of August 2020 and June 2021.
- Children born after Aug. 1, 2014 old who received SNAP benefits during 2020-2021 School Year in May or June 2021.
Who does NOT need to submit an application?
- Families that received SNAP benefits between the months of August 2020 and April 2021, who have children born on or before Aug. 1, 2014.
- Born after Aug. 1, 2014, and is part of a family who received SNAP benefits between October 2020 and June 2021.
How do I apply?
- Application opens June 2, 2021.
- Eligible families may apply by clicking this link: yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/PEBT.
- The deadline for submitting a P-EBT application is August 13, 2021.
- If you get SNAP benefits and your child is approved for P-EBT, Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) will put funds on your current Lone Star Card. If you do not currently get SNAP benefits, HHS will mail you a P-EBT card loaded with benefits.
What information do families need to complete the application?
The application will ask for information about each child and the parent that is applying. It is important that you complete as much information as possible.
- The following information is required on the application:
- Parent/legal guardian name, date of birth and sex
- Physical address
- Child’s information, including name, date of birth, sex, school district county, school district and campus name
- Applications for public school students must provide either the student’s Social Security number or state-assigned number (S-number)
When and how will I get my P-EBT funds?
Families who got SNAP benefits during the 2020–2021 school year:
If a SNAP family does not need to apply, P-EBT benefits will be placed automatically on the current Lone Star Card by May 28. A notice will also be mailed to the family that shows which children will receive P-EBT benefits.
- If a SNAP family has children born after Aug. 1 2014 and received SNAP benefits for the first time in May or June during the 2020-2021 school year, P-EBT benefits will be placed automatically on the current Lone Star Card in July.
If a SNAP family needs to apply, P-EBT benefits will be placed on the current Lone Star Card when approved. It could take two to five weeks to get benefits on the card.
Families who DID NOT get SNAP benefits during the 2020-2021 school year:
For families who need to apply for P-EBT benefits, it could take two to five weeks after completing your application to receive a P-EBT card loaded with benefits in the mail. You will receive a notice in the mail letting you know if your children are approved or denied. Cards will be mailed to the address entered on the application.
P-EBT applications will be worked on in the order they are received. HHSC staff may try to call your family or contact the child’s school to get additional information.