The Ysleta Independent School District’s Public Relations (PR) Department is dedicated to keeping the community informed on district issues, student achievement, and employee excellence. We work proactively with our campus reporters, schools, departments, and the media to inform the community of important happenings/events within The District. We serve as the liaison between the media and our district, schools, and students, whether that involves on-air interviews, campus visits, or requests for public information, among others.
Here are a few districtwide procedures to help PR assist you with media requests/coverage:
All media and special events with districtwide impact should be directed to the Public Relations Department. If a media outlet contacts you for an interview or statement, please refer the reporter to the district’s Chief Communications Officer at 915-434-0695. All media inquiries should be forwarded to the Public Relations Department, including those sent via email. Exceptions include routine athletic and/or extracurricular activity news coverage during games, tournaments, and/or performances open to the general public and conducted outside the normal school day.
Immediately contact the Public Relations Department when a member of the media requests to visit your campus, or arrives at your campus without prior PR approval. If a member of the media is on site without prior approval, he/she should be advised to leave and contact the district’s Chief Communications Officer at 915-434-0695. In general, local media outlets are aware they need PR approval to be on campus; however, it is important for you to know the following:
· The media MAY: Videotape your campus from across the street; interview parents off school grounds; use photos/videos posted on social media pages; or contact parents personally.
· The media MAY NOT: Be on campus without prior authorization from PR; enter the building without authorization from campus administration/PR; or report student information that is not public record.
Media may interview staff/students during the school day with prior approval from the Public Relations Department. Media may be allowed in classrooms only at the discretion of the Public Relations Department, in agreement with the campus principal, teacher, and/or appropriate staff member. If you have an approved media interview taking place at your campus, make sure to notify campus security of your appointment time. It is also the responsibility of the campus to ensure any students who may be photographed and/or recorded (either video or audio) have valid photo releases signed by a parent. Ysleta ISD strictly enforces student privacy preferences and release of student information as outlined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
The Superintendent, or any administrator designated by the Superintendent, shall serve as a district spokesperson for media interviews. It is also important to remember that online content can be spread to a mass audience in mere seconds. Employees must be diligent and responsible before posting any information online.
9600 Sims Drive
El Paso, TX 79925
Chief Communications Officer
What We Do
* District homepage news
* Upcoming events
* Service Excellence Kudos page
* Videos of the week
* Facebook page
* You Tube channel
* Snap Chat
* YISD mobile app for iPhone or android
* District training and promotional videos
* Recording studio available for campus organizations
* Recoding of board of trustees meeting available for viewing on the School Board web page and You Tube
* Slice of the PIE e-newsletter distributed to all Partners in Education
* PIE Campus Coordinator e-newsletter distributed to all campus PIE coordinators
* Annual Performance Report highlighting district accomplishments, academic programs and community involvement
* Campus and program brochures
* Back to School Rally held prior to the beginning of the school year. Partners in Education sponsor free backpacks and community information booths.
* Campus recognitions, dedications, groundbreakings, and ribbon cuttings.
* School board appreciation month is held in January.
* Monthly recognitions held at the beginning of each board of trustees meeting.
* District volunteer recognition luncheon is held in the spring to recognize campus volunteers
* Teacher and Support Employee of the Year Banquet is held in May to honor the campus teachers and support employees of the year
* Day as a Principal is held in March. Partners in Education shadow campus principals to obtain a better understanding of public education.
* Partners in Education Recognition luncheon is held in May to honor the business community for their service to the district.
* Giving Tree is held during the holidays to promote employee giving to YISD students in need.
* To kick of the new school year and energize our employees, Convocation is held in August during Professional Development.