In cases of inclement weather, YISD may delay classes, cancel classes, or have an early release day. The Superintendent makes the final decision to cancel or modify classes, based on information from staff; the National Weather Service; local/state agencies; and safety factors, such as whether:
- Security staff is reporting inclement weather conditions at schools;
- Local authorities have closed major highways, streets, and roads;
- Parents/students can get to school as usual;
- YISD buses can safely complete their normal routes;
- The National Weather Service is predicting more inclement weather.
Decisions to delay or cancel classes will generally be made by 5:00 a.m. The district will share this information with parents and employees via automated phone calls and/or text messages. Information will also be posted on the YISD website and its social media pages. All local news and radio outlets will also be notified so they can share this information in their broadcasts.
Delayed school day
A delayed start to the school day means classes will begin exactly two hours after the normal starting time for that particular school.
- All elementary schools to include Pre-K and PPCD (AM and full day) will start instruction at 9:30 a.m. Students attending the PM Pre-K classes will remain on their normal schedule.
- All high schools and middle schools will start instruction at 10:30 a.m. (Includes Valle Verde Early College High School)
- Morning classes at the Career Center at Riverside High School will report to their home campus at 10:30 a.m. and remain at the campus. Students attending the afternoon classes at Riverside High School will remain on their normal schedule.
- Buses will pick up at the designated bus stop two hours after the original pick-up time.
- Breakfast will not be served.
- High school co-op students should contact the employer about the two-hour delay, and attempt to report to their work site as early as possible.
When classes are canceled, all students and most district employees do not need to report to school or work. Essential district employees may be called in by their supervisor to assist with weather-related duties. All athletic and extracurricular activities will be canceled as well, unless otherwise specified. The school day will be made up on a later date that has been designated as an inclement weather make-up day.
Early release day
When inclement weather prompts the district to release students early from classes, YISD will notify parents about early-release times for elementary, middle, and high schools via automated phone calls. This information will also be posted on the YISD website and its social media pages, and include whether athletic and extracurricular activities will be canceled. Bus transportation will be available for those who normally take the school bus; however, students should check with the school's main office for pick-up times.