- REL Washington International
Ysleta ISD: All 7 marching bands earn Division I rating
For the second year in a row, Ysleta ISD was the only district in the city to see every high-school marching band – Bel Air, Del Valle, Eastwood, Hanks, Parkland, Riverside, and Ysleta high schools – successfully earn the top Division I rating in last Saturday’s UIL regional contest, qualifying them for the next level of competition at Area.
As a result, two Ysleta ISD bands – Riverside and Eastwood high schools – are now in the chase for a spot at this year’s state marching band competition, which takes place in San Antonio in November for Class 2A, 4A, and 6A bands. UIL holds state marching band contests in alternating years, so Class 3A and 5A marching bands are eligible to compete at the state championships in 2023.
The Riverside High School Ranger Band now advances to Class 4A Area contest – on Oct. 29 in Abilene, with the show, “Princess and the Frog” – led by Drum Major Felipe Ortiz and Flag Captains Andon Martinez and Skylyne Molinar – under the direction of Jason Lauturner, Sean Kilkenny, J.C. Pineda, and Cheryl Tomczuk.
The Eastwood High School Trooper Marching Band and Visual Ensemble advances to the Class 6A Area marching band contest on Oct. 29 in Odessa with its show, “Sirens of the Sand.” The band is led by Drum Majors Eric Daniel, Michael Barlow, Lori Macias, and Edgardo Malave, as well as Flag Captains Grace Marquez, Dayanara Montes, and Victoria Vitela; and under the direction of John Matthews, Art Avila Jr., and John Oman, and Flag Directors Stephanie Fanning and Destiny Provencio.
The following bands will compete at the optional Class 5A Area contest on Oct. 22 at Bowie High School:
- Hanks High School Band will perform, “Take Me To Your Leader,” under the direction of Horacio Gomez, James Cordova, Emily Petty, and Calvin Edwards, and Dance/Flag Instructor Kristal Nance. The band is led by Drum Majors Ana Rodriguez, Leah Dressen, Abigale Navarro, and Isabella Rosales, and Dance/Flag Captains Ciria Perez, Danika Murphy, Kyra Franco, and Camilla Valenzuela.
- Parkland High School Matador Band will perform, “Rapture of the Deep,” under the direction of Rebecca Rodriguez, Luis Ibarra, and Adrian Flores, and Flag Instructor Gaby Cardenas. The band is led by Drum Majors Makayla Allen and Leah Peterson, and Flag Captains Jorge Puga and Madison Blake Valdez.
- Ysleta High School Marching Band will perform, “Symphonize Your Possibilities,” under the direction of Daniel Colunga, Rey Guerrero, as well as Flag Director Corina Valdez Trujillo. The band is led by Drum Major Karen Zamarripa and Flag Captain Isabella Archuleta.
The two YISD bands that also received a Division I rating at UIL regionals last Saturday were:
- Bel Air High School’s Big Red Pride Marching Band with the show, “Sweet Paradise” – led by Drum Majors Jocelyn Perez and Larissa Guerrero and Flag Captains Mariam Martínez, Corina Ibarra, Isabella Calderon and Destiny Peoples – under the direction of Manny Talamantes, Derek Andrade, Gabby Tellez and Flag Directors Kimberly Prieto and Briana Vasquez.
- The Del Valle High School Marching Band with the show, “The Warrior Within,” under the direction of Keith Morales, Robert Hayden, Diego Calderon, and David Miranda, and Flag Director Azucena Garcia. The band is led by Head Drum Major Itzel Soto and Flag Captains Daisy Campos, Evelyn Gallegos, and Martha Moran.