Band directors in the Hanks Learning Community are heading to San Antonio this summer for the honor of presenting at the annual Texas Bandmasters Association Conference, which takes place July 20-23 at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center.
The group, which is under the direction of Hanks High School Band Director Horacio Gomez, includes assistant band directors James Cordova and Emily Petty, and Percussion Director Calvin Edwards. Being selected for this honor is an affirmation of not only the Hanks area band programs, but all band programs at Ysleta ISD.
During the conference, band educators statewide will come together to discuss and develop innovative techniques to enhance their band programs. The purpose of the Texas Bandmasters Association, Inc. is to:
- Continually assist its membership in achieving the highest standards of instrumental music education.
- Promote the place and value of music education in our society and the important role instrumental music plays in our cultural, intellectual, and social lives.
- Foster goodwill, fellowship, and a collegial spirit among all its members.
- Support and encourage a proper balance between professional life, personal health, and attention to family.
- Provide its current membership and future music educators with a comprehensive annual Convention/Clinic including an exhibit hall, live concerts, and special programs for students, spouses, families, and boosters.
- Provide its membership with additional resources including the Bandmasters Review (our quarterly magazine) as well as teaching aids, convention handouts, and magazine archives on our website.
- Provide opportunities for Professional Development during the school year through the TBA Outreach Program.
For more information regarding Texas Bandmasters Association please visit https://texasbandmasters.org/.